Detroit keeps getting safer and safer.
Project Greenlight just added its 100th high-tech crime fighting location at Seaway Market Place on W. Chicago on the city’s west side.
Participating businesses agree to install high-definition video cameras inside and out, as well as bright exterior lighting around the full exterior of the establishment. The video feed is monitored at the city’s Real Time Crime Center in real time.
Project Green Light started a year ago and has made many places in the city safer. The original eight gas station locations have seen a 40 percent drop in violent crime, and the newer Green Light businesses have seen a 20 percent drop in violent crime since last year. Since the project started the city has had a 40 percent drop in carjacking.
The word is getting out. The number of new businesses coming online per month has increased from 5 to 15 since partnerships were developed with DTE Energy and Comcast. Mayor Mike Duggan says he believes that will increase to 20 per month.
In September the city announced a program with Comcast that set up the cameras at an affordable rate for businesses joining the program. It also announced a program with DTE Energy that gave a significant rebate to Green Light businesses installing its energy efficient LED lighting system.
“The numbers show that Project Green Light is making a difference in reducing crime in our neighborhoods and more businesses are signing up than ever before,” says Duggan who was on hand with Police Chief James Craig when the 100th location was announced. “I hear stories all the time from residents I talk to about how they look for a green light when they are out at night.”
At the event Craig announced any all 911 calls made from participating businesses will now be dispatched as Priority One runs, whether the call is regarding a major crime or a minor one such as shoplifting or causing property damage.
“These business owners have stepped up in a big way to commit themselves to this program and the Detroit Police Department is going to support them,” he says. “We want the all troublemakers in this town to understand that no level of bad behavior or criminal activity will be tolerated at any Green Light business.”
Comcast representatives say they are proud of the results the partnership has created.
“This milestone demonstrates the success of our partnership with the city to simplify enrollment in Project Green Light and make it more affordable for participants,” says Tim Collins, senior vice president of Comcast in Michigan. “We’re providing customers with a single point of contact for the sale, installation and support of Project Green Light, and as a result, we’ve seen a tremendous increase in interest and have connected dozens of new customers.”
The current locations are:
- 7 MILE FOODS— E. 7 Mile & Veach St.
- ASIAN CORNED BEEF— E. 7 Mile & Brinker Ave.
- BARREL & BOTTLE PARTY SHOPPE — Dexter & Collingwood
- BEL-AIR LUXURY CINEMA — E. 8 Mile Rd.
- BENCHMARK PARTY SHOPPE — Joy Rd. & Prest St.
- BOOST MOBIL — W. 7 Mile Rd. & Stout St.
- BP — E. Outer Drive & Harper Ave.
- BP — W Seven Mile Rd. & Greenview Ave.
- CHALMERS PLUS — Chalmers & Glenfield St.
- CITGO— Chalmers St. & Houston Whittier St.
- CITGO — Gratiot Ave. & Beaufait St.
- CITGO — Morang Ave. & Kelly Rd.
- CITGO — Schoolcraft & Greenfield Rd.
- CITGO— W. McNichols and Schaefer Hwy
- CITY LIQUOR SHOPPE— Grand River Ave. & Lahser
- CLARK— Morang Ave. & McKinney St.
- CLARK— Rosa Parks Blvd. & Glynn Ct.
- CLUB CELEBRITY— Plymouth Rd. & Mark Twain St.
- CRICKET WIRELESS— W. Vernor & Central
- DOLLAR CENTER — W. Warren Ave. & Winthrop
- EAST TRACK— E. 7 Mile Rd. & Goulburn Ave.
- EASTOWN LIQUOR— E. Jefferson Ave. & St. Clair St.
- EXXON— Fenkell Ave. & Chapel St.
- FUEL ZONE — Fenkell & Evergreen Rd.
- GLASS BOTTLE SHOPPE – Greenfield & W. Chicago
- GRATIOT FAIRMOUNT LIQUOR – Gratiot Ave. & Fairmount
- GREAT LAKES BURGER BAR- W. McNichols Ave.
- HIBBARD PARTY STORE – E. Jefferson & Holcomb
- JANE’S MARKET – Charlevoix & Van Dyke
- LINDSAY LIQUOR – W. 7 Mile & Gilchrist
- MACK & BEWICK MARKET — Mack Ave. & Bewick St.
- MARATHON — E. Jefferson & Alter
- MARATHON — Michigan Ave. & 11th St.
- MARATHON — W. McNichols & Wyoming
- MCDONALD’S – W. 8 Mile Rd & Lahser
- MCDONALD’S – Grand River Ave. & Greydale
- MCDONALD’S – Grand River Ave.
- MCDONALD’S – Grand River & Livernois
- MCDONALD’S – Grand River & Livernois
- MCDONALD’S – Gratiot Ave. & Knodell St.
- MCDONALD’S – E. Jefferson & Crane
- MCDONALD’S – Livernois & McNichols
- MCDONALD’S – Mack Ave. & I-75
- MCDONALD’S – Michigan Ave. & Braden St.
- MCDONALD’S – W. McNichols & Winthrop
- MCDONALD’S—W. Vernor Hwy & Cavalry St.
- MCDONALD’S—Van Dyke & E. Outer Dr.
- MCDONALD’S—Wyoming Ave. & Fenkell
- MEXICAN VILLAGE RESTAURANT – Bagley Ave. & 18th St.
- MIKE’S FRESH MARKET- Gratiot Ave. & Lappin St.
- MIKE’S FRESH MARKET — Livernois Ave. & Cambridge Ave.
- MOBIL — E. Jefferson & Alter
- MOBIL — E. Jefferson & St Aubin
- MOBIL — E. Warren Ave. & I-75
- MOBIL — Fenkell & Greenfield
- MOBIL —Grand River Ave. & Livernois Ave.
- MOBIL — Joy Rd. & Evergreen
- MOBIL — W Fisher Fwy & Rosa Parks Blvd.
- MOBIL — W McNichols & Southfield Fwy.
- NEW MERCHANT FOOD CENTER— E. 7 Mile Rd. & Brinker Ave.
- NEW QUICK STOP MARKET— Grand River Ave. & Vancouver St.
- ONE STOP LIQUOR — Linwood & Pingree
- PALACE PARTY PLAZA — E. Jefferson & Meldrum St.
- PARKWAY FOODS — E. Jefferson & St. Jean St.
- PAUL’S PIZZA— W. Vernor & Central
- PELZER’S PARTY SHOPPE— Conant & E. Outer Dr.
- PERRY’S LIQUOR — E. Jefferson & Newport
- PRESTIGE LIQUOR STORE — Linwood & Montgomery
- PURITAN LIQUOR – Puritan & Mansfield
- RIVIERA AUTO SERVICE – E. Jefferson Ave. & Cadillac Blvd.
- ROSEDALE COMMUNITY PHARMACY – Grand River Ave. & Warwick St.
- ROYAL FRESH MARKET – Grand River Ave. & Glastonbury Ave.
- ROYALTY DANCE STUDIO – E. Warren Ave. & Outer Dr.
- SAN DIEGO PARTY STORE—E. Jefferson Ave. & Algonquin St.
- SAVON FOODS–Livernois Ave. & Curtis St.
- SCHAEFER SEVEN DRUGS— Schaefer Rd. & Hartwell Ave.
- SCOTCH CASTLE PARTY STORE— E. 7 Mile Rd. & Brinker Ave.
- SEAWAY MARKETPLACE— W. Chicago & Fitzpatrick
- SHELL—Mack Ave. & I-75
- SHELL—S. Fort St & Schaefer Hwy
- SHERRY’S ON W. VERNOR—W. Vernor & Central
- SONNY’S HAMBURGERS— Schoolcraft & Evergreen Rd.
- SOUTHERN SMOKHOUSE—W. McNichols
- STARTER’S BAR & GRILL — Plymouth Rd. & Faust
- SUMMIT WOMEN’S MEDICAL CENTER — W. McNichols & Forrer St.
- SUNOCO — E. 7 Mile & Hayes
- SUNOCO — E. 7 Mile & Hoover
- SUNOCO — Grand River Ave. & Stout
- SUNOCO — Morang & Roxbury
- SUNOCO — Schaefer Hwy & I-96
- SUNOCO — W. 7 Mile & Grandville Ave.
- SUNOCO — W. McNichols & Lahser
- SUPER DOLLAR STORE — Michigan Ave. & Martin
- SUPER CLEAN COIN LAUNDRY — E. 7 Mile Rd. & Fairport St.
- TURKEY GRILL — Woodward Ave. & Melbourne
- UPTOWN BBQ — Livernois Ave. & Midland
- VALERO— Linwood St.
- VALERO— Schoolcraft Rd. & Greenfield Rd.
- VALERO— Telegraph Rd. & W. McNichols Rd.
- WONDER SUPER FOODS MARKET — Shoemaker & St. Clair St.
For more information, visit: http://www.greenlightdetroit.org/