Weekly Update | August 17th, 2018
Members of the Midwest Civic Council of Block Clubs at their community picnic!
Key City Updates:
- *NEW* TENANTS IN 48215: The City of Detroit has created a new system of kiosks for tenants who live in non-compliant rental properties to place their rent into escrow accounts. The system will start in 48215 and is rolling out by zipcode. Click here for more information.
- STREET CLOSINGS: Click here for a complete list of all of the streets closing on August 17.
- RECREATION CENTERS: All Detroit recreation centers will be closing on August 20th for their end of summer cleaning. The centers will open again on September 10th.
Meetings and Info Sessions
- [August 22] FINANCIAL EDUCATION: Fifth Third Bank’s Empowerment Mobile eBus will be in Southwest Detroit on August 22 from 2-6pm at Life Directions on Scotten Street! On the bus, you can request a credit score, speak with nonprofits about housing, learn about foreclosure prevention and more!
- [August 23] Live in 48204? Join us at the Leviticus Missionary Baptist Church (9176 Livernois) from 4-5 PM for a Q&A with the Detroit Water and Sewage Department. From 5-6:30 PM we will also have a panel & workshop about how to start or grow a community organization. Come to both or either one! Click here for the flyer.
- [August 28] STREETSCAPE: The City of Detroit’s Planning & Development Department invites you to a community meeting about two streetscape projects and a proposed rezoning in your community. More information about these projects and the West Vernor Corridor Plan can be found here.
- [August 29] PUBLIC HEARING: BSEED will hear an application to add outdoor seating to the restaurant space at 1621 Lawndale. Click here for more info.
Jobs and Business
Are you interested in serving your community as an AmeriCorps member? Apply today:
- *NEW* Community Education Commission's Detroit Parents' Guide to Schools: Take a look to get accurate information from all parts of Detroit about schools, including transportation options, after school care and more. Click here for the full guide.
- [October 6] Need Volunteers? Hands 4 Detroit is here to help! Check out their Hands With Detroit 2018 event, a day of service with community partners. Organizations with projects in need of hands should sign up here. The service day will be on October 6, 2018 from 9-4 pm.