The Detroit Bikes Spring Training Ride
Saturday, March 16, 2013, 10 AM start
Detroit Bikes evolved from Detroit Synergy's (www.detroitsynergy.org) Detroit Bikes! project. We maintain our focus on our twin loves of bicycling and the City of Detroit. Spring Training Ride two weeks away!!!! March 16th, 2013, 10 AM.
Urban bicyclists know that there is no better way to experience our City than on a bicycle. Even better is riding with a group of like-minded folks. Please join Detroit Bikes on our first ride of 2013!
One of my very favourite events of the year is changing my clocks as we spring ahead to Daylight Savings Time! Another fave is the Corktown St. Patrick's Day Parade. Both these events signal to me that it's
time to finalize the details for our annual Spring Training Ride!
So, put some air in your trusty bicycle's tires, throw some lube on the chain, dust the cobwebs off the spokes, and get ready to ride! Because, as Arnold would say, "We're Baaaaaaaaccccckkkkkk!!"
The Sixth Annual Detroit Bikes! Spring Training Ride (STR for short) is a sports themed event in which the riders will cruise past current and past Detroit sports venues, including Comerica Park, Ford Field,
Tiger Stadium (RIP), Olympia Stadium (RIP), Recreation Park, and others. Wear something that represents your favorite Detroit City team (professional, minor league, college, futbol, high school, CYO, etc.), such as a T-shirt or bandanna and help us welcome the warm weather!
Special Optional Event after the ride:
I expect the ride to be over at about 12:30. Many of us will then ride
over to Cobo Hall/Center to attend the Bicycle Show and Swap Meet
that's sponsored by our good friends from Detroit Bike City! Check out
the announcement at www.detroitbikecity.org. There is a small charge
(about $10) to attend this event. You can also find more details about
this event at the Detroit Bike City 2013 Facebook event page. I'm
thinking Lafayette and/or American Coney Island as a food stop before
we enter Cobo!
Detroit Bikes Spring Training VI Ride - Saturday, March 16, 2013
- When: Saturday, March 16, 2013
- What: The Spring Training Ride Vi: A bicycling tour of past and present Detroit sports venues
- Cost: FREE! But bring cash for beverages, food and the Bicycle Show and Swap Meet (optional).
- Ride Starts: 10 AM sharp at the Millennium Bell, Grand Circus Park, downtown Detroit.
- Distance of ride: approximately 16 miles (about 26 kilometers)
- Length: approximately two and a half hours (150 metric minutes for our Canadian friends)
- Pace: Relaxed, non-competitive pace, suitable for all experience levels
- Needs: As usual, we need all the help we can get! Some of the duties are: event photographer, Emergency Financial Manager, ride integrity helpers, SAG (support and gear vehicle), folks to assist with minor, bike repairs, etc.
- Helmets: Required!
- Dress: Show your Detroit sports pride by wearing your favorite Detroit team's T-shirt, hat, bandanna, flag, socks, wristbands, whatever!
Rain/Snow Date: NONE! The ride will take place regardless of rain,
snow, emergency managers, earthquakes, federal indictments, and
consent decrees. There is no rain date! As long as one person shows up
(in addition to me, of course!) the show will go on!
Spring Training Ride Flashback!
The temperature at the start time of the 2011 ride was 17 degrees!
Fahrenheit! Ride regular Mark Morden (Rock Uber Alles) even wore
shorts! I'm not sure if that was a highlight or a lowlight!. In 2012,
we experienced relatively mild weather. About 50 degrees! So, be
prepared for varied conditions.
Forwarded by Midtown Alliance
And by Central District Police/Community Relations Council