Greetings, Friends of Belle Isle Concern,
We hope you are doing well during these remarkable times in our world! Our numbers our growing and with your ongoing support we’ll keep expanding and fighting to eventually get the Grand Prix off of Belle Isle!
Yikes! Grand Prix Extended to TWO Weekends in 2021
On October 1, Bud Denker of the Penske Corporation announced that there will be TWO weekends of Grand Prix auto racing in June 2021. The announcement got favorable spin in the Detroit newspapers and other media.
“Planet Detroit has learned that 2020 will likely not count towards the race’s three-year contract since this year’s event was canceled on account of the COVID-19 pandemic.
This means that those opposed to the race will have to put up with it through at least 2022, when the event could then be extended for another two years under the existing contract.”
We are outraged. The 2018 contact between Penske and the DNR clearly prohibits such a change without prior written consent from the state.
Your Support is Needed – Here are Some Ways to Help
We are seeking answers and planning a strong response. We’re asking supporters to respond in these ways:
1) Attend the virtual monthly meeting of the Belle Isle Park Advisory Committee BIPAC) on Thursday, October 14, at 9 a.m. and make a public comment strongly opposing this. We’ll post the agenda on the Belle Isle Park Not Racetrack public Facebook page when it is available (usually the day before). The agenda always includes public comment (limited to two minutes per person) at the end of the meeting and gives instructions on how to sign up in advance for a comment space, but even if you don’t the chair should ask for other comments.
Here are links to the draft minutes for the September meeting and BIPAC information on the DNR websit: https://bit.ly/36M6A7a
2) Consider writing a letter to your State and Federal Representatives, Detroit City Council member, the Governor, DNR Director, Attorney General or other public officials. Go to “Take Action to Protect Belle Isle” on our website – www.belleisleconcern.com for a list of emails and addresses for helpful contact information. Remember - the City of Detroit still owns Belle Isle and as the DNR’s “landlord” should exercise stricter oversight of the Grand Prix and other activities that adversely restrict public access and adversely the islands, landscape, flora and fauna.
3) Consider writing a letter to the editor of the Free Press, News or other publication.
4) Inform your friends — on social media or in person of what’s happening, a further insult to our beautiful public park. Encourage them to attend, write and spread the word.
Everyone has a unique relationship with Belle Isle Park. There’s no other park like it in the Detroit area! The fresh air, amazing views, landscape, birds, trees, walking, biking, open space and much more allow us to recharge physically and mentally during unsettling times. Even in normal times, we need nature. Please tell us how Belle Isle Park helps your health & well-being.
You might see it featured on our “Belle Isle Park Not Racetrack Facebook” page.
6) VOTE in the November 3rd election!
Media Coverage of Interest
If you have any questions or comments let us know.
Please join us in protecting our irreplaceable public park!
Belle Isle Concern